Member of Parliament for Derbyshire Dales
Rt Hon Sir Patrick McLoughlin has been the Member of Parliament for West Derbyshire, subsequently Derbyshire Dales, since winning it by 100 votes in a by-election in 1986. Prior to that, he contested Wolverhampton South East at the 1983 General Election.
Patrick was born in Staffordshire in November 1957. His father, an underground miner, died when Patrick was six, so he and his sisters were brought up by their mother, who had to supplement her widow’s pension by working in a factory.
Patrick attended a Catholic comprehensive school, leaving at 16.
His early employment included catering and working on a farm, before following his father and grandfather – both coal miners – and going to work underground at the Littleton Colliery in Cannock, Staffordshire.
He became a member of the National Union of Mineworkers working through the 1983-4 miners’ strike, in the absence of a national ballot. Patrick was then an industrial representative for the National Coal Board’s Western Area Marketing Department
Patrick and Lynn married in 1984; Patrick and his wife have two children and they live in the constituency.
He has considerable experience in local and national politics. Before becoming an MP, Patrick was a member of Cannock Chase District Council and of Staffordshire County Council.
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department of Transport, 1989 – 1992
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department of Employment, 1992 – 1993
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department of Trade and Industry, 1993 – 1994
- Assistant Government Whip, 1995 – 1996
- Head Commissioner at the Treasury, 1996 – 1997
- Pairing Whip, June 1997 – 1998
- Deputy Opposition Chief Whip, 1998 – 2005
- Opposition Chief Whip 2005-2010
- Government Chief Whip 2010-2012
- Secretary of State for Transport 2012-2016
- Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Chairman of the Conservative Party 2016 - 2018.
As of the 25th May 2018, new GDPR regulations came into effect. The Data Protection Policy and Privacy Notice for Sir Patrick's office can be viewed here:
|Data Protection Policy - 23.05.18||515.07 KB|
|Privacy Notice - 23.05.18||431.07 KB|